Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Lawn mower engine running unevenly

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 10:14:39 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Thought it might be useful to send some pictures of the carb and the governor thing.

They speak 1000 words. ;-)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...OYkgOxzDuhTx3O

Hmm, I'd have to compare that with a formal manual picture to compare.

The springs in the picture seem loose when the engine is switched off (can't see them with engine on as underneath the air filter).

That can be right, depending on the throttle position.

Almost like they don't do anything.

They may not at the beginning because 1) the throttle isn't set (off
tortoise) and 2) the engine isn't running and the flap isn't pulling
against the spring.

Having said that the governor seems to work but not sure if these are related.

As mentioned elsewhere, you should be able to operate the throttle
itself (not the lever on the outside) directly with the engine running
and that should have a more direct relationship with the engine revs.

Also, having now seen the springs, in the back of my mind I vaguely remember buying new springs in an attempt to fix a (probably similar) issue so maybe I fitted them incorrectly?

They do look quite new and quite possibly (they are often a bit of a
puzzle and often not intuitive).

Cheers, T i m