Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Cutting a hole in drywall: Options?

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 12:04:40 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
on Wed, 17 Jun 2020 20:14:20 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:

Start with a stud finder to identify the studs. You probably want to
end at/middle/end of one. I then use a utility knife against a metal
straight edge to get a straight, clean cut. Before cutting I pull all
the nails/screws out of that area of the wall. A MagSwitch is a great
tool for finding the fasteners.

What I'm likely to do is start at the opening next to the opening,
and cut up. Finding any studs in the middle of the panel is a good
idea. Details to be determined.
--

You actually want to find studs at the *edges* of the panel. If you cut the
drywall along the center of those studs, you can easily reattach the patch

My recent project (Ignore the horizontal board; that's blocking for the
shower valve so that the shower stall wall doesn't "flex".)

https://i.imgur.com/ZOdNvOY.jpg

If you have to cut a stud in the middle of the opening, you'll need to add a
header to transfer the load to the studs on either side of the opening.