Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Lawn mower engine running unevenly

On Monday, 22 June 2020 14:16:33 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

A quick update on my mower - thought I would start a new thread in case the specifics helps someone else in the future

The mower started first time - I was amazed. However... The engine runs very unevenly. It doesn't sound like it is likely to stall but runs what I would call lumpy with an uneven rev. As advised here, I did the following before firing it up...
1. Checked the plug. It was clean with no residue. I checked the gap and it was about 21 thousandths inch. The manual says either 20 or 30 but I can't tell which one I have to know for sure
2. The air filter is mostly spotlessly clean but a little but of what looks like oil on the inlet side where the holes of the casing are
3. The petrol tank had a tiny bit of fuel left in it (not enough to pump with the priming bulb) so have put fresh fuel in with the dribble that was there
4. No smoke seen of any colour or noticeable smell

Anyone have any idea where I should go from here?

It may be fitted with an "air governor" This keeps the motor at a constant speed.
Just a flap in the cooling air flow attached to the carburetor.
Linkage may be sticking a bit and need freeing off.