Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder[_5_] Arlen Holder[_5_] is offline

Default Inspection and oil change

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 17:26:31 -0500, Jim Joyce wrote:

Depends how many quarts and what kind of oil. I've heard of people
spending that just for oil change.

I wait for the $9.99 coupon to roll around. If I miss it, there's always a
$14.99 coupon available.

Wow. That seems inexpensive for sure. What locale do you live in.

I do my own oil changes, where, oh, assuming on average a typical car is
five or six quarts at, oh, what, maybe 2 bucks or so a quart, that's a
dozen dollars just for the oil alone.

Given I don't know what repairs cost (I do my own DIY repairs) I just
googled for prices in the Silicon Valley for a typical oil change.
o https://duckduckgo.com/?q=typical+prices+oil+change+san+jose

First hit:
o https://www.groupon.com/local/san-jose/oil-change
Sale prices were as low as $17 but most in the 20s, up to over $40.

Second hit (I hate the "dollars off" prices - which are meaningless):
o https://oilstopinc.com/oil-change-san-jose/
Five dollars off (off of what?).
"FREE Beverage, FREE WiFi,FREE between service topoffs"

Third hit:
o https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/change-oil-and-filter/?city=san-jose-ca
Price range for all vehicles = $92.34 to $157.60

Notice that the "typical" price is astronomical, while the "sale" price
seems pretty reasonable (given the oil itself costs about twelve bucks or
so and the shop rate, in San Jose, is oh, something like $100 to $200/hour
(AFAICR).
--
BTW, adding "rec.autos.tech" where this is the URL to the original thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.home.repair/sChKzO3h5rg