Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inspection and oil change

On 6/21/2020 8:09 PM, wrote:

97.99?
Steep?
2004 xterra.
Steve Shannon tire, PA.
Nothing needed fixing.

Define " inspection " ...
... check tires & fluid levels & quick visual ?
... pull 4 wheels and inspect brakes ?
... bit of a difference yes ?
John T.

State inspection in PA. Pull two wheels to check brakes, exhaust
system, ball joints, etc. Should take about 20 minutes.

No road test ?
... there are "inspections" and there are
mandated inspections with paperwork ...
The OP seems to only knows what it cost him ..
... with no idea what was done.
John T

A road test is not required in Pa. The owner drives the car. He can
test it.

.
... you would know .. :-)

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...ons/PUB-45.pdf

but just in case - read page 42 of 140.

John T.

You do have quite a sense of humor. I lived in PA for 36 years and with
three cars in the family we had plenty of inspections. The only road
test was pulling the car from the parking lot to the garage.

There may be a few legitimate garages but very few. Many never
inspected anything but outwardly visible like lights. Other inspected
very little but would tell you needed a new drag link or idler arm.
Sometimes they even replaced it.

I chose my inspection stations carefully. I went to Frank. If Frank
had to pull a wheel he would probably collapse and die. Checking brakes
was pushing the pedal while scraping off the old sticker. He did check
lights though because if he was being watched, that would be obvious to
an observer but his shop was invisible from the street.