Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Chainsaw rope very hard to pull

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 15:06:44 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Understood about using Sta-bil, etc.
In my case, I can go years between uses. I'm not sure Sta-bil ideal for that long a period of inactivity.
That would not explain why I can easily pull cord, with plug removed.
It worked fine when I last used it, couple yrs ago.

I have not looked into the insides of the small engines. Does that one
have any valves that open and close ? Maybe even some reed types ?
They may be stuck or broken.

I doubt the Sta-bil would be good for years. In that case it probably
is ok to let the engine run dry and just take the hit on no lubercation.

Since the saw has a SEALED tank the fuel in the tank won't oxidize or
go rancid like it will in a lawnmower. I use SeaFoam in my saw gas and
the last time I used the Remington it had sat for over 2 years with a
FULL tank of Shell premium with 40:1 "smokeless" (yeah, right!!) semi
synthetic two stroke oil and it started on about the 5th pull. Just
remember to shake the saw a few times to make sure the oil has not
stratified in the fuel. The Partner took a whiff of starting fluid to
get it to kick, but then it ran fine. Haven't used either one for
about 5 years - maybe I should crank them up and see if they still run
in case a windstorm takes down more branches -- - - -

I bolught one of the roughly $ 100 700 watt generators from HF that is 2
cycle. I seldom use it, but do start it up every couple of months and
run it for a while. Then put in a fresh batch of the alcohol free
gas/oil and Sta-bil. I think some of the oil has some properties of the
Sta-bil. Let that run for a short period of time. Found it hard to
start even when new,so give it a shot of starting fluid and it cranks
right up.