Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default What's the point of a triangular awning?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0mkq4r1vwdg98l@glass...
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 19:23:21 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 21/06/2020 15:46, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 15:40:43 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 21/06/2020 14:53, Commander Kinsey wrote:
This:
https://www.amazon.com/Shade-Beyond-.../dp/B01G2W7IT0

Clearly designed to shield people from sun and rain. But isn't
rectangular more sensible? Triangles have those narrow corners in
three
places where they shield virtually nothing.

Wind resistance? They have to survive in bad weather.

How does that help with wind? My neighbour just put one up and it's
flapping about the same as a rectangular one would. In fact I'd say the
more anchor points, the sturdier it is, a professional large one with
about 12 anchor points stays still in the highest winds. And if it
doesn't actually shield much, might as well not have it at all.

One less pole :-)

What pole? You can tie two corners to a shed or house, and the other(s)
to a tree or fence etc. Don't tell me you have a house with no shed

I have no shed, the whole house is everything.
works much better.

or fence

I only have fences around the back yard
and they are too low to be useful for a sail.

and only one tree?

I only have one tree in the back yard because
it's a passive solar house with the back of the
house facing north.