Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default What's the point of a triangular awning?

On 21/06/2020 19:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 19:23:21 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 21/06/2020 15:46, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 15:40:43 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 21/06/2020 14:53, Commander Kinsey wrote:
This:
https://www.amazon.com/Shade-Beyond-.../dp/B01G2W7IT0

Clearly designed to shield people from sun and rain.* But isn't
rectangular more sensible?* Triangles have those narrow corners in
three
places where they shield virtually nothing.

Wind resistance?* They have to survive in bad weather.

How does that help with wind?* My neighbour just put one up and it's
flapping about the same as a rectangular one would.* In fact I'd say the
more anchor points, the sturdier it is, a professional large one with
about 12 anchor points stays still in the highest winds.* And if it
doesn't actually shield much, might as well not have it at all.

One less pole :-)

What pole?* You can tie two corners to a shed or house, and the other(s)
to a tree or fence etc.* Don't tell me you have a house with no shed or
fence and only one tree?

No trees at all. South facing wall would provide the anchor point for
two points of the triangle, and a pole and guy cord would be needed
for the third corner.

Only Australians seem to have a collection of eucalyptus trees
around their houses.