Rick Hughes

Default Running cables through stud walls

"Can2002" can2002@nospammailDOTnet wrote in message
.. .
We've just moved into a house that was converted from a bungalow a few

years
back; all the interior walls upstairs are plasterboard. I want to install

DAB aerial on the roof and ideally run the cable through the loft and down
through the gap between the wall by our study. My draft action plan is:

Install aerial and run cable up to just above my study (need to find some
method of measuring distances to ensure I'm in the right place)
Drill a hole through to the cavity
Drop cable down into cavity
Drill hole through wall in study and attempt to locate cable
Install wall mounted coax point

It all sounds fine in writing but I wonder whether I'm setting an

achievable
goal, so I'd welcome opinions from the experienced!

There are 2 caveats here ... either of which could P** on your chips.

First if three is any insulation in the studding, this will prevent the
cable dropping ... I have always fully filled stud walls with insulation
.... as it cuts down noise (now Blding regs requirement)

Secondly it is very unlikely that you will have uninterrupted space form the
sole plate to the header ... i.e. between the top and bottom of the wall
..... it is common practise ( and needed on plasterboard) to have
intermediate horizontal noggins .... this would mean your cable would stop
half way down where it meets the noggin.

Sorry if this is doom & gloom after the other positive posts ... but thought
I would mention what could happen.

Rick