Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Cutting a hole in drywall: Options?

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 11:26:21 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:43:48 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 9:43:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:21:36 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:30:33 -0600, Just Wondering wrote:

On 6/18/2020 9:44 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Puckdropper on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 06:43:55 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings

I have a renovation project for the office (third bedroom) in
mind, which involves "First, cut a large hole in the drywall.."* I've
a number of means for doing that, but I would like to kind of minimize
the dust. My options for cutting are
Chain Saw. {Maybe not the best idea, but it is 'an idea'.}
Corded circular saw
Battery powered Circ Saw.
Reciprocating saw.
Roto-zip or Dremel,
"Oscillating Multi-tool"
Hatchet,
Drywall Saw
Razor knife.

I suppose I could remove the clothing and "stuff" from the closet
first, but where's the fun in that?

* the idea is to cut a hole in the wall to allow a lot of "extra
space" at the top of the closet to get a 'decking' laid down, making
for more storage space,with better access. It was done in the older
part of the house, why not bin the add on?

Does the roto-zip have a vacuum attachment? My router does and it's very
effective when it comes to wood dust. Since the setups are very similar,
you'll probably see similar results.

It might, but I don't have it. Nor do I have a shop vac. Hasn't
been a problem so far. The table saw gets set up outdoors, and I
haven't had that many power tools till recently.

And thanks to all for the "Use a knife" advice. I had not thought
of that. But that still leaves a lot of other issues. (Like where do
I put the stuff in the closet/room while I work.)

That's beyond our pay grade. It's a question for SWMBO.
Grind the "set" off a hacksaw ( or other high-tooth-count) blade for
a sawzall and put it into a handle made for the purpose (jab saw
handle" Basically grind the blade to a sharp edge but with fine teeth
so it cuts better than a knife and doesn't make as much dust as a saw
allows you to "drag" the blade across studs cutting the drywall right
to the stud.

I like that idea. I have used a sawsall blade but didn't think to
grind it down. The unmodified blade wasn't very satisfactory, at
least cutting outlet boxes.

If you're going to grind down a sawsall blade and then cut the hole by hand,
why not grind down a half-moon oscillating tool blade?

I have a couple lengths of industrial band saw blades, with the
intent to make them into knives or scrapers or something ...

I've never lacked for intentions. I've got more than enough to spare if
you need a few.