Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default On one PC, Windows 7 to Windows 10 update fails at 'fetching updates: 46%'. What to do next?

On the other hand its not worth panicking about getting 10, as most stuff
still runs on 7 anyway, even Edge browser.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 16:50:53 +0100, Jack Harry Teesdale
wrote:

On 06/02/2020 20:07,
wrote:
I have been trying to update a neighbour's PC from Windows 7 to Windows
10,
using
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 .

I have tried the "direct" method in her abode, using her Virgin Media
Internet service.

I have tried the "direct" method in my abode, using my pseudo-BT
Internet service.

I have used my Win10 PC to create a USB transfer drive in order to use
it
to update her PC in my abode (using pseudo-BT Internet).

In each case, the process update sticks at "fetching updates: 46%" - I
have on occasion waited for over an hour.

I don't have any other Windows 7 PCs to try.

Her PC is nominally over 12 years old, but in Summer 2015 all the
electrics and electronics, including the mains lead, were changed to
middle-spec then-modern, and Windows 7 pro was installed. Only the case
was retained.

When her PC was moved to here, it was connected to my spare keyboard,
mouse, screen, and hers were left in situ.

Any suggestions as to what to do next?

Missed the OP, but when I updated three computers from W7 to W10 at
the beginning of the year, I used the media creation tool to upgrade
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

More info here http://tinyurl.com/t26lko8

The process took about six hours for each computer. I suggest the OP
needs to have a reliable Internet connection, to keep an eye on the
process in case it calls for some input at any time, and to be
patient.

--

Chris