Horizon99

Default Gutter question

"Steven Bliss" wrote in message
The real question is this: Unless you are blocking water near a doorway

or
walkway, or flower bed, why do you need gutters at all? Many reputable
contractors ask the same question....

To properly channel water away from the house foundation, where it
can cause a whole host of problems. I've seen lots of people on here
with wet basement problems, seeking all kinds of expensive solutions,
when they haven't even taken care of rainwater properly first.

And to prevent erosion of the soil rain falling directly from the roof would
cause.

Any contractor that asks that questions the need for gutters, can't be very
reputable.

"Jonathan Joseph" wrote in message

I hate to reopen this apparently age-old debate, about
gutters, gutter screens, gutter hoods, etc., but after
scanning numerous old posts (still a drop in the bucket of the
total amount written), I haven't found something that really
speaks to me.

So, perhaps if I describe my particular situation, and ask for
advice, it might help. For anyone who takes the time to
read through this post and reply, I really appreaciate it.

I'm pretty sure that the gutters on our 1977 house date to 1977.
I believe they are aluminum (they are metal at any rate), they
are sectional, and I think they need to be replaced. As long
as I'm replacing the gutters, I want to do it right.

** Why I think the gutters need to be replaced **
There are many places where water drips through small holes in
the gutter instead of following the path down the downspout -
especially if the gutters get partially or fully clogged. In
some places they no longer have the poper angle for all of
the water to drain out. In some places, the facia boards
behind the gutters appear to be rotted. In some places, they
are now hanging so that water can easily get between the gutter
and the facia board. I have made minor tweaks to the gutters
to improve things, but the condition of the gutters makes me
think that at this point, replacing them would be better than
fixing them.

** Why I think I need gutters at all **
There are decks and flower beds around the house. If water
falls on the deck, it splatters up agains the doors and rots
the wood framing. If water cascades down on the flower beds,
it's not so nice for the flowers (if the deer haven't already
eaten them). There are some areas around the house
with drainage issues (like in front of the garage).

** Conditions at our house **
Roof pitch: about 30 degrees (quite steep).
Trees: Lots! Probably worse than living in a pine forest, we
live in a hemlock forest. Those tiny needles fill up the
gutters really fast (especially if some larger debris manages
to block the downspout) and they fell right through the cheap
plastic screening I had up for a while. There is also a big
oak near the house and various maple and other trees near
enough to shed leaves in the gutters.
Climate: Ithaca NY. Plenty of rain. Plenty of snow and Ice in
in the winter.

** What to do, how much should it cost? **
Should I get plastic/vynil, aluminum or steel gutters?
Single piece or sectional?
What should I do to prevent leaf/needle accumulation in the
gutters? Screens? hoods? those little baskets that keep
larger debris from blocking the downspouts? nothing at all?
I don't expect to never have to clean the gutters, but as
it is now, it needs to be done 3 or 4 times a year to keep
things working properly. I would like to minimize that pain.
The hemlock needlese seem to wedge themselves into any tiny
crack.
I haven't measured, but I probably need somewhere in the range
of 120 linear feet of gutter (including 2-car garage) and 6
or 7 downspouts (4 or 5 in the 8-12 foot heigh and 2 at a
15 to 20 foot height).
I hope to contract this out and not do any of the work myself.
How much should I expect to pay for various types of gutters?
I don't just want the cheapest solution, but my poketbook is
far from botomless. I am willing to pay more for higher
quality, but I would like to get the best value for the money.

Thanks for any input.

-Jonathan