John Stumbles

Default Heatloss of small terrace house 6.5kW ?

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:07:15 -0000, "John Stumbles"
] wrote:

My first house was similar to the one you describe and I remember when I

did
the calcs it wanted a bit more than a 55K BTUs back-boiler would have

given.

Mmmm. So in the same range.

However the house in question is heated by night storage and it's

generally
as warm as toast (during the day, when I've been working there) in the

big
main room which has only one storage heater, which can't be chucking out
more than a couple of kW.

Don't forget that there's quite a big difference between how the place
may feel when you are there working and moving about during the day
and what it could be like sitting still in the evening.

True ...

We've also had about a 10-12 degree range over the last couple of
weeks and the design is intended for -3. So 2kW or so at a daytime
temperature of +8 may be OK.

Even so it was very warm inside when it was brass monkeys outside

From that point of view the figures seem
reasonable ... but I'm still not happy with it. :-(

Realistically, it isn't the boiler that is going to be the problem.
You could go for an 11-14kW modulating one for example.

It's not that I'm worried about - I've already got a 23kW combi installed
(Hepworth Icon/Ikon)

The radiator sizings would be more important. For the living room,
having one at each end would be sensible, probably.

Natch, in fact I'll probably put 3 since they want one in the front bay
where there's not much room and even a double would only give about 600W, so
another on the side wall by the front door and a 3rd at the back, to give c.
4-5Kw for the whole room. This room's heatloss is almost 3K (just under half
the total for the whole house).

I'm thinking I'll go for oversizing the rads as much as possible to give a
decent load to the boiler to reduce cycling (it claims to be 'fully
modulating' on CH but I don't have the manual to hand ATM so I don't know
what it goes down to) and to give good warm-up.

--
John Stumbles