Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt??

On 6/17/2020 9:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/17/2020 8:14 PM, Chuck wrote:
replying to Clare Snyder, Chuck wrote:
I have a window unit a/c installed through the wall. It's about 6
years old.
I've had the black flakes that smear blowing out of the vents for
probably all
but the first year I used it, including this year. A couple weeks ago I
sprayed it with Frost King a/c coil foaming cleaner. It hasn't helped
at all.
Has anyone found an actual working solution for this problem? I'm a
renter and
my landlord is stingy so even I tell him the issue I don't know if
he'll even
do anything about it. But would a professional be able to do anything
for less
than the cost of a new unit?

Spraying through the front grill is probably not doing a very good job.
You have to take it out of the case so you can flood the coil and
possible the drain pan.Â* Best done outside so you can rinse it well.

I should add, they sell anti=bacterial pads you can put in the drain pan
to help in the future. Amazon, about 10 bucks.