Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt??

On 6/17/2020 8:14 PM, Chuck wrote:
replying to Clare Snyder, Chuck wrote:
I have a window unit a/c installed through the wall. It's about 6 years
old.
I've had the black flakes that smear blowing out of the vents for
probably all
but the first year I used it, including this year. A couple weeks ago I
sprayed it with Frost King a/c coil foaming cleaner. It hasn't helped at
all.
Has anyone found an actual working solution for this problem? I'm a
renter and
my landlord is stingy so even I tell him the issue I don't know if he'll
even
do anything about it. But would a professional be able to do anything
for less
than the cost of a new unit?

Spraying through the front grill is probably not doing a very good job.
You have to take it out of the case so you can flood the coil and
possible the drain pan. Best done outside so you can rinse it well.