Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default older/newer GCH radiator efficiency?

On 14/06/2020 19:44, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 14 June 2020 18:48:04 UTC+1, Duncan DiSaudelli wrote:
Hello

Our house has some single and double radiators, probably 1980s vintage,
fed from a conventional gas fired boiler.

Except for the fact that they might be full of rust and sludge etc., is
there anything radically different about modern designs which would make
them more efficient?

In other words, if they are still of sound construction, is there much
point in replacing them?

Might it be just as sensible to get the system (and thus the radiators)
power-flushed?

DDS

Radiators do not have an efficiency.
To find if they are full of sludge, run your hand over them and see if there's any cold spots. (Invariably at the bottom.)
As long as they keep the place warm and aren't leaking leave them alone.

You might consider thermostatic valve.
If already fitted,make sure they're working.

that's a waste of time with a wummin in the house they just can't grab
the concept of turning a TVR down...all mine are screwed up due to her
so I retaliate by having the boiler thermostat at 17 dec C