BigWallop

Default Cooker wiring

"Jaime" wrote in message
We're thinking of getting a new range cooker (all electric). Currently
theres a 30 amp (possibly 35 amp) cable into the kitchen and the 32 amp

ring
main. I know that for a seperate oven and hob usually the hob is wired to
the cooker cable through an isolation switch and often the ovens to the

ring
main through a 16 amp plug or simular.

What happens with these large range cookers, I added the power comsumption
on one and it came to a total of 67 A if all things where switched on.

Would
that need a new cable to the consumer unit or does it take power from both
the cooker spur and the ring main? Also what happens in a normal house

with
single phase electrics, if your cooking a large lunch and some decides to
have a shower with a 10kw shower (40 amps) thats goign to max out the 80

amp
trip and the 100 amp consumer fuse. Presumable the trip just cuts the

power
on overload. Must cause a problem or are most modern houses that use
electric for cooking 3 phase these days.

Its practically impossible to run a new cable back to the consumer unit,

so
I am wondering how this limits our choice of cooker.

Thanks

Jaime

Bugger !!! Sorry, forgot to add this link as well:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.3.9.htm