Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default OT - Masks revisited

On 2020-06-16 16:31, Frank wrote:
T explained :
T formulated the question :
On 2020-06-16 14:11, Scott Lurndal wrote:
echnical articles I have read.Â* You are free to look
them up yourself.
In other words, you are unable support your assertion.

Noted.

Not doing your homework for you, especially after you
lied about me being an antivaxer

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32334003/
Completely unrelated to your assertion. (An article about using
rice cookers to decontaminate masks).

Agreed.Â* Not a good like.Â* Here is a better one:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?ter...+effectiveness

Now go do your own homework

I'm not willing to go through so many articles which do nnot support
your view just to find one which does.

Why not just post one.

I am not going to go through the extra work for the guy
who lied about me.Â* He can do his own homework.

You I will.

Just go to the link and read the titles.Â* Pick some
out that interest you.

I did, and read some little way into them to see that they were not
saying what you appear to think they are saying.

Here is the first three:

Testing the Efficacy of Homemade Masks: Would They Protect in an
Influenza Pandemic?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24229526/

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Results: The median-fit factor of the homemade masks
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* was one-half that of the surgical masks. Both masks
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* significantly reduced the number of microorganisms
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* expelled by volunteers, although the surgical mask
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* was 3 times more effective in blocking transmission
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* than the homemade mask.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Conclusion: Our findings suggest that a homemade
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* mask should only be considered as a *last resort *
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* to prevent droplet transmission from infected
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* individuals, but it would be better than no
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* protection.

It says they are effective.

Effectiveness of Surgical Masks Against Influenza Bioaerosols
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23498357/

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Findings: Live influenza virus was measurable from the
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* air behind all surgical masks tested. The data indicate
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* that a surgical mask will reduce exposure to aerosolised
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* infectious influenza virus; reductions ranged from 1.1-
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* to 55-fold (average 6-fold), depending on the design of
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* the mask.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Conclusion: We describe a workable method to evaluate
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* the protective efficacy of surgical masks and RPDs
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* against a relevant aerosolised biological challenge.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* The results demonstrated limitations of surgical masks
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* in this context, although they are to some extent
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* protective.

It says they are effective.

Effectiveness of N95 Respirators Versus Surgical Masks in Protecting
Health Care Workers From Acute Respiratory Infection: A Systematic
Review and Meta-Analysis
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26952529/

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Interpretation: Although N95 respirators appeared to
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* have a protective advantage over surgical masks in
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* laboratory settings, our meta-analysis showed that
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* there were insufficient data to determine definitively
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* whether N95 respirators are superior to surgical masks
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* in protecting health care workers against transmissible
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* acute respiratory infections in clinical settings.

These are PPE and not what we are talking about.

Since we know with chemicals that toxicity is dose related it makes
sense that a quantity of virus you are exposed to must be needed to
overcome your defenses.Â* If someone with the virus sneezes with a mask
on near you and you have a mask on some of the virus will get through
his mask and some will make it through his mask.Â* Without masks you
would ge the full blast of the sneeze and probably be infected but both
with masks you might not get enough virus to infect you.

Perhaps we could epoxy the masks on? No?