Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How to annoy the entire street

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0mbshbnswdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 23:39:49 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0l9wvmsxwdg98l@glass...

newsp.0l9rvtb1wdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 20:26:17 +0100, NY wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0l9ns6b1wdg98l@glass...
On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 19:29:45 +0100, Arthur Conan Doyle

In my experience (Chicago, Denver) those areas had back alleys for
trash
pickup (and some deliveries)

Wow, is that a flash from the past. My grandmother lived in a
suburban
Chicago
house with an alley. Most houses there had detached garages off the
alley
and
when I was very young, everyone used an incinerator next to the
garage
for their
trash. She had a coal furnace in the basement as well. Trash truck
would
come
around once a month or so to pick up the ash - hence the term "ash
bins."
Those
were heavy monsters and the men who handled them were massive.

Yip, nowadays they're lazy like everyone else. Mechanised bin
lifting
for
goodness sake. When I were a lad, my English teacher predicted that
in
the future we would all evolve to have no limbs, as everything would
be
done for us. We're getting that way....

Our garden waste wheelie bin, full of shredded tree branches and
leaves,
is
very heavy. I wouldn't be able to lift it. Even wheeling it up steps
(our
patio has several different levels) takes a fair amount of force.

Funny how 30 years ago there were no wheelybins. The binmen lifted
the
bins onto their shoulder and tipped them into the cart.

Those were much smaller bins, stupid.

And suddenly we produce twice the waste?

They had more than one bin,

No,

Yep.

there was one (half wheely bin sized) bin collected once per week. No
other bins, recycling or otherwise.

Wrong, as always.

and had incinerators

Irrelevant to how heavy they are when lifting.

Not when there is only the ashes in the bin, not what got burnt, stupid.

and yep, we do produce a lot more packaging waste
and that wasn't suddenly either.

I don't believe you,

You have always been completely irrelevant,
what you might or might not believe in spades.

what do I get in packets that I didn't used to?

Bread, potatoes, onions, apples, oranges, meat
fish ready meals, etc etc etc.