Set Square

Default Running cables through stud walls

Can2002 can2002@nospammailDOTnet wrote:

We've just moved into a house that was converted from a bungalow a
few years back; all the interior walls upstairs are plasterboard. I
want to install a DAB aerial on the roof and ideally run the cable
through the loft and down through the gap between the wall by our
study. My draft action plan is:

Install aerial and run cable up to just above my study (need to find
some method of measuring distances to ensure I'm in the right place)
Drill a hole through to the cavity
Drop cable down into cavity
Drill hole through wall in study and attempt to locate cable
Install wall mounted coax point

It all sounds fine in writing but I wonder whether I'm setting an
achievable goal, so I'd welcome opinions from the experienced!

Regards,
Chris

It ain't easy! Stud partititions typically have uprights at 18" centres or
thereabouts. But they also have horizontal studs - often at about one third
and two thirds of the room height. So if you want to go from above ceiling
level down to nearly floor level, you'll have to drill through not only the
top member but also the two intermediate members - and I bet you don't have
a long enough drill!

If you don't mind bringing the cable out near the ceiling rather than near
the floor, or if you don't mind removing and making good a small piece of
plasterboard in the region of each horizontal stud sufficient to get a drill
in from the side, you might manage it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square