Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_28_] Frank[_28_] is offline

Default The Story Behind The Pepper Spray

On 6/16/2020 1:10 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

On 2020-06-15 21:27, A K wrote:
The Story Behind The PepperÂ*Spray

Today, the pepper spray is anÂ*indispensable self-defense tool,
especially to women. But women are not the only ones who use it. Â*In
fact, it was approved for use by civilians after the FBI found it an
effective tool to control unruly mobs without causingÂ*irreparable
damage. Have you ever wondered about whose idea it
was to use pepper sprays as weapons.

Heres the story€¦
The use of chemicals rather than violence, in self defense has a long
and interesting history. Â*As far back as 428 BC, the Spartans used a
combination of burnt wood and sulfur to produce toxic fumes that kept
enemies at bay.
The earliest known pepper spray was invented by the ancient Chinese.
They flung wrapped, powdered chili pepper on their opponents faces.
Sometime during the mid 19th century, the Japanese police of the
Tukagawa Empire came up with an innovative box that could spray pepper
into their opponents eyes. They dubbed it €śMitsubishi€ť.

It is the Mitsubishi that has evolved into the modern day self defense
spray. Oleoresin Capsaicin (OC) is the environment friendly ingredient
used in this spray. Meant to be sprayed on the opponents eyes, it
causes pain, tears and momentary blindness, effectively incapacitating
the attacker be it human or animal. The modern day version was
developed by Dr. Frank Hayes and Prof. James H. Jenkins in 1960. It
was first used by the FBI as a non-violent way to control violent mobs.

Research has shown that these sprays can been used to prevent animal
attack. The Postal Service of the US issues dog pepper sprays to its
personnel delivering letters to protect themselves against dog
attacks. They are used in Alaska to effectively stop bear attacks.

https://uriupina.com/funny-cute/warn...s-pepper-spray

Also very effective for removing Jehovah Witlesses from your front door.

After two weeks of silence and/or denials, the US Secret Service today
acknowledged that they indeed used tear gas (pepper balls) to clear the
park so that Trump could get a photo op at the church.

This administration hasn't figured out that information eventually comes
out.

Tear gas and pepper spray are two completely different chemicals.

Interestingly when I was into cycling I first carried tear gas to keep
away dogs chasing me. It would startle them but not stop them. I
switched to pepper spray and it would stop them in their tracks. Funny
it did not keep them from chasing me again. It did no harm to them.