Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Knife sharpening difficulties

On 06/15/2020 01:13 PM, A K wrote:
For years, I have never been able to get a sharp edge using a whetstone.

Especially with Swiss army knives.

Can someone help me?

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WS...07CVN8HV5?th=1

They aren't cheap but there are guides for several different tools.
Smith's makes a similar type that is cheaper.

For a budget approach, the Smith's Pocket Pal is cheap and handy:

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Po.../dp/B000O8OTNC

https://bladereviews.com/smiths-pocket-pal-pp1-review/

Lansky has a few different varieties:

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Sharpe...sky+Sharpeners

One scheme is a clamp that goes on the blade with guide rods to maintain
the angle. That works fairly well for larger blades. Then there are the
crock stick types. Mine has a V shaped carbide cutter for roughing out
the edge, plus the rods. The idea is keeping the blade vertical going
down the angled rod is easier than maintaining an angle on a stone or
flat diamond sharpener.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Knife.../dp/B0000950Q4

I was feeling lazy the other night and the Fiskars was closed to hand.
They work too.

Most of those will give you a serviceable edge. They might not be sharp
enough to shave the hair off your arm but I don't need hairless arms.