Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Amanda Riphnykhazova Amanda Riphnykhazova is offline

Default Does anyone know how badly designed the conical LG washer/dryer drainfilter unit is?

I am having drain pump failure on an LG washer dryer. I cant quite tie it down but this is an INCREDIBLY badly designed unit. LG actually forgot to include a lint filter in it so the whole thing has to be taken apart every few years so that lint can be cleared out of every tiny crevasse inside the unit!

I pulled the drain filter out and found a coin and a tiny credit card in there. But not much else, and the filter is cone shaped so I am wondering if this is normal or is this conical filter is just another pathetically bad LG idea?

Can anything seriously get past those conical shaped drain filters, and block the impeller behind the cone?

I CAN put my finger on the impeller and feel the normal pressure as I try to move between quadrants, which I have heard described as the acid test of whether your pump has failed or not. But I dont know whether feeling this pressure necessarily means that the pump hasn't failed? So I am wondering whether anything CAN get past the conical filter? Or is letting things get past this filter and block the drain pipes normal for this LG design because LG design is so lousy, - even where the the pump itself is working? (as an aside, LG design is so bad that they have had to withdraw all LG tech support and replace it with guys at the end of the phone who read from scripts, telling users to get everything repaired, whatever the tech support question!)

Or does the buszing/grinding noise coming from the drain pump trump everything else and mean, simply put, that the pump has failed?