Joseph Meehan

Default Fluorescent lighting?

Schism wrote:
My mom is building a new home and I'd like to know whether I should
recommend that she install fluorescent lighting instead of regular
light bulb lighting, our main objective here is to save on lighting
(replacement cost, electricity consumption, as well as time between
replacements) I've heard fluorescent lights take a very long time to
burn out and are rather cheap, would it be better to use fluorescent
lighting instead of the traditional bulbs?

Yes and no. Yes they do last longer and yes they use much less
electricity. The longer life is compromised somewhat if they are short
cycled. Used for short periods, like five minutes.

They come in a number of colors, some are pleasing some are not. It
depends on were they are located and the color of the light. Choice is
important. I find I like a mix of incandescent and fluorescent best for
light color. This is especially important in areas like vanities, kitchens
and dinning areas.

They also may not come on fully bright right away. They are getting
better, but this may be annoying in some areas. Some also have problems in
cold areas.

Fluorescent lights don't dim will, in general. So in areas where you
may want to use a dimmer, you should use incandescent or special dimmable
fluorescent fixtures.

Over all I would suggest looking at each fixture to determine which
might be best. A hard to reach hall light that may be left on for hours at
a time, would be a good candidate. The refrigerator light would not.

One last note. Today good replacements are available for replacing
standard light bulbs. You may be able to use standard fixtures yet try out
fluorescent lights to see if you like them or go back to the incandescent
lamps if you don't.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math