Andy Hall

Default Heatloss of small terrace house 6.5kW ?

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:07:15 -0000, "John Stumbles"
] wrote:

My first house was similar to the one you describe and I remember when I did
the calcs it wanted a bit more than a 55K BTUs back-boiler would have given.

Mmmm. So in the same range.

However the house in question is heated by night storage and it's generally
as warm as toast (during the day, when I've been working there) in the big
main room which has only one storage heater, which can't be chucking out
more than a couple of kW.

Don't forget that there's quite a big difference between how the place
may feel when you are there working and moving about during the day
and what it could be like sitting still in the evening.

We've also had about a 10-12 degree range over the last couple of
weeks and the design is intended for -3. So 2kW or so at a daytime
temperature of +8 may be OK.

From that point of view the figures seem
reasonable ... but I'm still not happy with it. :-(

Realistically, it isn't the boiler that is going to be the problem.
You could go for an 11-14kW modulating one for example.

The radiator sizings would be more important. For the living room,
having one at each end would be sensible, probably.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl