Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why do we have modesty panels on desks?

On Tue, 19 May 2020 15:08:17 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 19/05/2020 00:50, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article op.0kt6rzikwdg98l@glass, says...

Don't need a huge house to have a table you eat off.

Some houses don't have a dining room. You eat on the sofa in the lounge.

I used to live in a 3 bedroom house that had a living room we seldom
used. The other room was a small kitchen (cooking area) and we had table
to eat on, couch, easy chair,and the TV set in that room.

Working class homes had a back room called the 'parlour', usually with
the cooking facilities in it, which was used most of the time, and a
front room for 'best'. When the daughter of the house was 'courting',
she would entertain her 'young man' in the front room, with the mother
popping in at frequent intervals to ensure nothing untoward was going on.

If she wants to be a grandmother, untoward things need to happen.