Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why do we have modesty panels on desks?

On Wed, 20 May 2020 15:45:56 +0100, wrote:

On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 11:38:11 AM UTC-6, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just find they get in the way when trying to get at wires behind them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesty_panel

A modesty panel is a thin board of wood or metal that is attached to the front

Back. I'd say the front is what faces you.

of a desk, drafting table, electronic organ, or similar item. Its purpose is to shield legs, ankles, or feet from view. The panel provides privacy for the person seated at the desk or organ, as it covers the upper part of the legs. This privacy role is particularly useful in cases where the desk or organ is positioned in front of a class or hall.

Why? If you're that shy you'd have longer garments on, otherwise you'd be seen when you walked around.

The modesty panel may also provide structural support for the four legs of the desk or organ, and it may also be used as a place for affixing electric cabling, computer cabling, or electrical extension boxes.