Default Refrigerator freezer too warm; runs constantly.

Let us know what happens afterwards.

Thanks for the info and the website, Jeff. It helped me understand a
little more. (helped my vocabulary too, I hope)

My refer is still not working correctly. I have given the specifics
before but basically it is not getting cold enough in the freezer. It
was getting down to 12 and then 17 and for the past two days 26 (!).

We had a "flickering" power outage about a month ago after which the
freezer seemed to be unable to get real cold. I have replaced the
Defrost Thermostat and the Defrost timer. (The old timer was defective
but the original thermostat tested fine.)
Today I also turned the little screw inside the Cold Control knob area
toward the "colder" position.

One thing I noticed (after you said to look for it, Jeff) was that frost
buildup on the evaporater was not very extensive after being on a couple
of hours. Also, the coils underneath the refer are never warm nor is
the exhausted air that comes out of the back.
I did have the refrigerator pretty close to the wall (2" or so)and we
had quite a lot of Dog hair/dust come out of the coils when I cleaned it
a few days ago. I usually clean it every six months but I never used a
tool to remove the accumulation deep inside the coils before. I always
got what I could see to get by hand and by using a crevice tool with a
vacuum cleaner.

This bottom freezer, 22cf, 8 year old Amana has been a good appliance up
to now. I hate to replace it but if the repairs are going to be more
than $250 or so I probably will.
Does anyone have any idea of what the cost of a new compressor and
installation might be? Or what other problems there could be? (coolant
loss is unlikely from what I read)

Thanks for your time and help.

Mike

jeff.