Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuck in a thermostatic whirlpool

On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 10:49:26 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 12:41:02 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Stuck in a thermostatic whirlpool

We've already had 2 pretty hot days and I'm still stuck without AC, now
because I can't decide on a thermostat.

The great idea of a WiFi thermostat attracted me, but I don't care about
adjusting the house temp from a PC in Timbuktu.

I only care about my bedroom, or maybe the office.

So a WIRELESS thermostat.

Take your finger out of your ass and go to Lowes or other store and
spend between 15 and 30 bucks and get a cheap one to get you going. Then
put that one back as an emergency spare.

As I recall, the thermostat was part of a new AC system, using his existing
oil furnace, putting a heat pump on top of that. So, the thermostat is
likely coming from the contractor and I think he has a busted AC. But he
could tell the contractor just quote it with the cheapest thermostat and
then later put in whatever he chooses. Good chance it would be the same
cost anyway. You can get a Honeywell VisionPro for $100 on Ebay, the
contractor would probably charge more than that extra on the deal if you
bought it from him.

If I wanted remote capability on a thermostat, I would get a wifi one so
that I could control it from my phone, both in the house and from
anywhere, eg leaving the house for the day and not sure you set it back,
etc.

`
In the 35 years I have been here I went through a half dozen
thermostats of varying complexity and we settled on this.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Womans%20thermostat.jpg