Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 5 Jun 2020 06:04:10 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 4:28:32 PM UTC-4, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:12:40 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:
On 8/8/2010 12:52 PM, jimmy wrote:
I recently had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one of
the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info
regarding this??

Well I had a fan, all metal with a flat metal plate as a base, and a
two-blade blade. Maybe made in the 30's. It was clearly once mounted to
some big piece of machinery like a railroad engine and the rivets
holding it were drilled out. I probably got it at a yard sale.

I used it at work. The motor would start, but the blade was on very
loosely and it would take 20 or 30 seconds before the blade caught up,
during which time it made sort of a ringing noise. The people at work
felt sorry for me and bought me a new plastic fan, so I took it home and
nailed one corner to the window sill above my head, for summer time.

I put a switch in the cord and when on my back I could reach up and turn
it on without looking at it. I also took a thermostat from a box fan,
mounted into a big plastic cap from an aerosol can, so the fan turned
off when it cooled off in the middle of the night.

It needed oiling, and as the years went on, it needed oiling more often.
One time, I looked up and the oil in the motor was on fire. And the
motor too. I guess I was lucky to put the fire out with no more damage.

But I think this story is rare, and I doubt fans cause many fires.
Don't all their motors have thermal fuses? (Mine didn't.)

It used a bathroom fan, shaded pole motor to run it, but one size bigger
than what those fans use, and I could never find a motor the right size,
so now I have a big 3-speed plastic fan at the foot of my bed,
controlled by a remote switch in my bed. I still have the fan parts
for the future. Plastic fans take up more space than metal fans do.

ya, i had one tell me 90% of house fires are from computer monitors.
They say what sounds good at the time.

87.3% of all statistics are made up

87.314159265358979323846% to be exact

Hmmph. 87.13%