Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default 100 metre wifi

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 02:23:47 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

I want to make our internet connection available to another house about 100 metres away - with direct line-of-sight.

Too far for standard wifi to work reliably (even if it worked on the drive, I don't think it would do so inside).

I am well aware that various pairs of devices are available which can do the job. Do you have any recommendations? Least expensive that will do the job without being rubbish.

Doesn't need any fancy facilities at all. I have a wifi router I can use inside. So this is just for the house-to-house link.

I did this for an elderly neighbour for a while. We had a diagonal
line-of-sight across a fairly wide road and front driveways that I'll
measure by pacing out the next time I go out.

I was able to run a Cat5 patch cable from her spare front bedroom to
her router in the lounge and put a Bridge / AP / Ethernet to WiFi
adaptor on the windowsill in that bedroom window.

My AP happened to be at the front of the house and I was able to get a
pertty good / reliable link with just that.

In fact, the only time we generally lost the link was if a removals
lorry parked in the road between us. ;-)

I helped set up similar for a mate in his workshop who wanted Internet
access and was given permission by a local company to use theirs.

We positioned a (TP-Link) WiFi repeater (in this instance) fairly high
behind some wooden facia and it has been able to provide a reliable
link so far (couple of years)?

Again, only really has any issues if a large lorry parks between them.

As an experiment with another neighbour here I setup A TP-Link device,
an AP in this case (TL-WA801ND) again in Ethernet to Wi-Fi mode and
with it stood on my front bedroom windowsill (with the aerials looking
though the glass at his house), I was able to connect to his network.
In this case it was to try moving some big files but the link speed
was reduced and it was pretty slow. That unit has removable aerials
And I tried a small Yagi on one but can't remember if it helped at all
/ much (mate would probably have to do the same his end).

Cheers, T i m