Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Help finding underground wire/box

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 4 Jun 2020 17:54:17 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Call 811.

The 811 people only go from the power pole to your power meter. Once
the wiring is owned by the homeowner or business, the 811 service stops.

I generally disapprove of bribery but I called Miss Utility when I
wasn't ready to dig on the theory that they roam around the area and
they can stop buy and it will take one guy what, 10 minutes to do it.

So in this case, if you're already entitled to call 811 to plan for
future digging and if there's a good chance 811 will find it if he
looks, you could make sure you're there and pay him extra to look for
you. After you're desperate.

When they repaved the road outside our house, my mother was home and saw
them out there and got them to pave the mudhole that was in front of our
rural mailbox. She tipped them, but I wss never sure if it was a tip
or a bribe. It might have been part of their job to do this sort of
thing. She wasn't sure either. An area about 18" x 3 feet. They
filled it too.

Like I say I don't approve of that, but to get a paver to come out and
do 4.5 sq. feet would have cost $300? She was a widow and woudln't have
done it. But for the county to do it, it took 5 minutes to fill, 5 or
10 minutes for 2 guys to pave, and 5 minutes to roll.

I just had them to come out and locate some wiring for me. They went
from the power pole to the meter about 200 feet away. Located the power
and cable. There was no gas lines or telephone lines in the general
area.

I tried using a very good metal detector for this wiring before and
after I knew where the wires were. I could trace an old underground
telephone easy. For some reason the power and cable lines were more
difficult for me to detect even when I knew where the company marked
them.