Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default cars at stoplights

There are supposedly countries in Europe where it is common practice to leave one car length between cars at a stop light. The theory is that when the light changes, all start at once, and you get twice as many people through the light.

I don't know if it's still true. I lived in Germany 5 years and did not actually see this (though I did notice how HIGHLY skilled the average driver was there.)

This would not work in the US because while texting hardly any driver notices the light changing at all until someone behind them honks.

An anecdote about driving in Germany. Maybe somebody here will recognize themselves. It was early Sunday morning in Kitzingen, and there was almost zero traffic, a nice sunny morning. I screwed up and turned the wrong way on a one way, and realized it. But there were no cars visible in any direction, and I was one block! from the main thoroughfare, so the easiest thing was to drive the rest of that block and scoot out of there before I got caught. I made it to the crosswalk and stop sign, and then........ a pedestrian appeared from nowhere, a little old lady, and stood in front of the car and chewed me out. I pretended to speak no German, she pretended to speak no English, but her iron will prevailed. She forced me to turn around and go back that one block. She was fearless and confident she was right, and actually she was. The kids thought it was hilarious.