Default Refrigerator freezer too warm; runs constantly.

jeff wrote:
wrote in message ...

Hi Jeff, Thanks for responding.
Amana BX22S5W

There was no frost at all after being on for four straight days. I am
replacing the Defrost thermostat.

A bad defrost timer -usually- will have the coils completly covered
with frost rather than bare of frost, a defrost timer stuck in defrost
will stop everything ( fans, compressor ) from running. A defrost
timer not going int odefrost woudl allow the cooling coils ot buiuld
up with frost and completewly frost over. Possible chance you opened
it up right after a defrosting cycle???? With the cover off let the
refrigerator run 30-60 minutes and check the cooiling coils, if still
bare or mostly bare this may indicate a refrigeration system problem.

I had opened up the condenser area in the refer after a Defrost cycle
had almost ended. It also sat unplugged for half an hour before I
worked on it. So there might have been frost buildup. I did test the
condenser area later to see if it would get cold enough. I wanted to
see if the tubes on the condenser felt cold. I was concerned that they
didn't seem to be "freezing" to the touch. I left the unit running with
the door closed. When I checked after about 30 minutes there was frost
on the top right end of the fins about 4 inches in size and growing it
seemed.
Perhaps I was getting frost buildup between the fins and not completely
removing it with the defrost cycle. However, I am still concerned that
the freezer while running undisturbed never could achieve a temperature
below 12 degrees.
I know very little about refrigeration. I try logic but I am guessing.

These are the sites I've been reading:
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html
http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=658
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...frigerator.php

I'll install a new Defrost thermostat tomorrow. It may be unnecessary
but it doesn't cost much ($12).

Thanks for your input.