Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Bread Machine recommendation. Want one NOT made in China.

Bob F wrote:

On 5/28/2020 4:17 PM, cshenk wrote:
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 at 11:03:31 PM UTC-5, Ook wrote:
I have four bread machines, and they are all candidates for the
trash can. One has motor problems, three have bread pans that
don't last (the shaft seizes). None of them have lasted me a
year. Not surprisingly, all of them are made in China.

So, what is a good quality bread machine not made in China? I'm
willing to pay a bit extra for it, I've certainly paid enough
for the junk machines I already have. I don't need bells and
whistles, I just need something that I can run 3-4 times a
week. I seldom let it bake the bread, I just use it to nead the
dough. I prefer to take the ready dough and shape it myself - I
have a couple of nice Ecko french bread shaped pans that work
nicely.

Failing to find a good bread machine not made in China, can
anyone recommend a good bread dough neading machine? I'm not
sure what they are called - I've seen them from time to time,
heavy duty mixers that can make bread dough. Again - I want one
NOT made in China.

Hi Nieder, I make all our bread (except crackers and a rare loaf)
and have for over 2 decades now, with a bread machine to do the
mixing. Takes about 1.5 hours in dough mode the turn it out to my
own pans for rising and then baking.

One not made in China is Panasonic. It's simple with no frills but
I had one for quite a few years and it worked well. They have a
scale of models from simple to quite complex.

Fancier but very nice is also from Japan, Zojirushi. I caught a
screaming sale at Amazon a bit ago and snagged the last one. It's a
dual paddle system that gives a functional bake shape if I want to
use that (and I have twice).

Probably more critical is what type of doughs are you making? That
may be the reason for your failing machines. You need a special
one if making 100% whole wheat, heavy rye mixes and so on.

Here's a standard 2lb dough run I use often:

1 1/3 c Buttermilk (or water and buttermilk powder)
1/3 c water
2-3 TB cut up butter (real butter)
4 c 'fluffed' white flour (spooned to fluff then to the cup)
2 TB sugar
1-2 ts salt
2 ts Active dry yeast (SAF yeast right now in 1lb bags)
Optional: I like to add herbs and spices, or crushed seeds

Because of Covid impact on our community, I have been distributing
free 1lb loaves to help others with the food bill. I am estimating
it's been 230 of them now but that's a lowball estimate.

I looked up the Zojirushi, knowing it was a Japanese brand. The
reference I found said that was manufactured in China. May be so for
the Panasonic also.

Panasonic, Malasia, same for Zojirushi.