Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Exterior wood dye

Andrew wrote:

On 28/05/2020 23:25, wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 13:46:16 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 26 May 2020 23:47:22 UTC+1, ss wrote:

I want to stain some pine cones, it is recommended to use food colouring
but that was useless.
I am looking for brightish reds/blue /green and will be for outdoor use,
I dont want to paint them.
Also non toxic to wildlife.
Any one got recommendations.

Doesn't matter what you use. It will fade outdoors.

Iron oxide doesn't fade, that's red. Carbon doesn't, that's black.
You can also heavily dilute paint & use that for a dyed type effect.

NT

Green leaves don't fade until they drop off the tree.

Maybe not, but I suspect it takes constant metabolic processes to
protect chorophyll from UV.

Harry hasn't heard of natural pigments which his cave-dwelling
ancestors used.

Modern car paints don't seem to fade (much) either.

--

Roger Hayter