Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Laminate Bending

On Thu, 28 May 2020 15:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 3:53:27 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

At least along with the lower strength of cyprus goes lower density -
so even a slightly "fatter" chair shouldn't be a WHOLE lot heavier
than oak or hickory- if you do it right - - -

LOL, if I do it right! I calculated 3 cu ft of cypress for this rocker. Air dried cypress is 32 lbs per cu ft. It feels like 100 awkward lbs when moving it around. I've done lots of dry fits as I go, making sure parts fit nicely, properly. Each part is custom fitted to an adjacent part/parts. It's a good project, a learning project.

I bought 4 treated 2X10X8' this morning, for making the rocker forms. Been mowing grass since, before wood shop work later this evening.

Sonny

Oak and hickory are 48-52 = so you can use 30% more cyprus, +/-, for
the same weight