Posted to rec.woodworking
Hawk Hawk is offline

Default Table with granite insert

On 5/27/2020 11:42 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 9:53:47 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:

If I go larger table, do I make the table, piecing boards together then
cut the center, rabbeting for the granite to fit or if the smaller
table, I wouldn't know how to approach, since it's not mitering a square.

I had a similar project some years ago, not knowing what was the best approach. I went with the 'make the table top and cut out the opening'. I used faux marble from a bathroom shower redo and the backside of the slab was not perfectly flat.... there was lots of bumps and glue, just not a good flat backside surface. I also didn't have the proper tools for cutting stone nor in a perfect circle. The project was a small 3-leg bistro type table. It didn't come out perfect, so I use it in the shop. In the second pic you can see one of the small gaps (there are others) between the marble and the wood frame.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I likened it to making a raised/angled picture frame or doing my first crown molding project, i.e., compound miter, it didn't come out perfectly. My table top insert cutout was not a perfect match to the marble slab's edge. I suppose one has to practice many of these sorts of projects, to become good at it, or have some specific tools for making them with excellent results.

A couple of things to remember: 1) Mark your slab and the wood top, precisely, so that both match with their alignment. 2) Once fitted, I don't think you have to, or want to, glue or secure your slab in place. Its weight should be sufficient enough for stability.

Since I am not proficient in perfectly mating pieces as this, I thought, if I ever made another, then I might use a trim element between the wood frame and stone. The trim element I've considered is a caning spline or a custom made wooden spline to fit into the space. Depending on size, a custom spline might be harder to bend in place. Either trim type could be matched or contrast stained. As to using a caning spline, I would stain it and allow it to dry, before inserting into the space. Caning spline is very soft and would crush if trying to install when wet or damp.... it needs to be pressed in place when dry. A spline might be unsightly to some extent, also, just depends on the furniture piece and use, I suppose. My "defected" table fits my shop scenario.

I can't think of any other tips to recommend. Hopefully someone with more experience/expertise can help out.

Hope this helps.
Sonny

Thank you. Appreciate the tips.