View Single Post
  #28   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default TN-S Earth clamp

On Monday, 25 May 2020 09:59:17 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 25 May 2020 09:44:10 UTC+1, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
On 24/05/2020 20:49, wrote:
Had a proper look at the earthing on the new place today. The supply earth is provided by a clamp onto the sheath. It's not, so far as I can, a tightenable clamp.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/383551...posted-public/

It has a 10mm cable in which looks like it only just fits, can't see how I'd get a 16 in there. (tails are - at the moment - 25mm as far as a Henley, then down to 16mm)

I noticed that the clamp rotates freely around the sheath. Is that to be expected? I will get round to measuring the earth soon when the replacement test lead turns up.

No, the clamp should not move and will be an ineffective earth connection.

Report it to your DNO and they should either rectify it or provide PME.
(this may be delayed due to Coronovirus Regs)

Thanks. That's what I thought, but nice to have it confirmed.

I rang up UK power and they were somewhat unhelpful, and want to know what Ze is before they will do anything (I tried arguing that what it is NOW is irrelevant, and I don't want to start waggling their clamp to demonstrate that it will change). Well, gives me something to do. I will call back and hope I get someone more helpful.

There's a lead water main. Turns out it does have its uses....

Leads finally turned up. Ze is 0.2. I moved their clamp gently, and established that it's a) stiffer than I remembered from Monday, and b) didn't affect the measurement. BTW it's not a 951 clamp.