Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Door latch not working

On 28/05/2020 17:11, JoeJoe wrote:
We have a solid oak door between the kitchen and the utility room.

The door was bought by us, brand new and with no holes for the handle
and latch mechanism.
It was fitted by our builders as part of an extension that we did
several years ago, and unfortunately it appears that the
handle/mechanism were not fitted/installed correctly - too far from the
edge of the door.

When the door is shut it is almost impossible to open it using the
handle, as the latch does not retract far enough (hardly any) into the
door when the handle is pushed down all the way. This has been the case
since it was fitted, so it is definitely not caused by a recent failure
of the mechanism.

Trying my best to explain, but happy to send photos/video if unclear.

Any idea how to resolve this please?

What kind of latch is it?

e.g. a surface fitted one, a traditional mortice one, or a modern
"tubular" one?

I have noticed that as the mechanism wears (especially on budget
latches) the amount of bolt retraction can reduce.

Probably also worth taking the handles off and seeing if you can retract
it by turning the shaft with pliers. If not, time for a new latch.

--
Cheers,

John.