Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Table with granite insert

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 10:53:47 PM UTC-4, Hawk wrote:
I came across a wide variety of granite sizes, all 1" think which I'd
like to use to make tables, coasters, or whatever comes to mind, but
want to dabble in the furniture aspect. One granite slab is oval and
appears to be the remnant cut from a bathroom sink. I'm thinking of two
options for a table. One is a bigger table with the granite insert in
the center and the other is just a small coffee or side table using the
granite with wood sides, similar to this small table

https://chairish-prod.freetls.fastly...640&height=640

or this table with wider wood sides
https://img.letgo.com/images/d6/d1/9...=img _600_pwa

but obviously oval. Therefore, seeking suggestions how to approached
shaping/cutting the wood to encase the granite slab, which you can see
here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

If I go larger table, do I make the table, piecing boards together then
cut the center, rabbeting for the granite to fit or if the smaller
table, I wouldn't know how to approach, since it's not mitering a square.

How about making a flat surface, sort of a faux top, to sit both the
slab and the wooden frame on?

The slab would be fully supported and the frame could be sized to be flush
with the slab.

Either the weight of the slab would hold the frame from sliding or dowels
(or something similar) on the underside could hold it in place.