Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Maching rounded edge on planks

On Wed, 27 May 2020 02:21:55 -0700 (PDT), fred wrote:

OK But first he would have to teach himself how to sharpen the plane and then how to set it up and finally how to use it correctly. I think how to use a trim router might be easier

He would have to teach himself how to set up and how to use the trim router,
also too as well.

Go the wrong way round, and the edge is a mess. Go too fast, and you end up
tearing and sanding a lot, go too slow and you get burn marks from the cutter or
the pin. Go too deep and then turn over the slat, the bearing pin runs on the
routed bit and not the flat, leading to the top and bottom being different.
Sometimes just a bit -- as I noted after mounting them randomly, and it looking
a mess.

Routing narrow slats is a PITA, no way to easily fix them and just go round.
Non-slip mats help, but they get dusty and slip...

Thomas Prufer