Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default TN-S Earth clamp

On 27/05/2020 20:14, ARW wrote:
On 27/05/2020 16:11, Robin wrote:
On 27/05/2020 13:51, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

Sorry too that for some reason I thought I knew UKPN was your DNO.
You mean if you fix a 2" X 3/4' chunk of brass on the wall with several
green and yellow wires going into it you would have to label it "safety
electral earth etc"?Â*Â* And should you enclose it to discourage
interference?

Yes it makes sense, though my electrican did not bother.Â*Â* Maybe he (or
I) might have done if it hadn't been in a workshop.

All I meant was that I agree with those who argue a screwed connection
in a main bonding conductor brings it within 514.13.1((ii) ("a point
of connection of every bonding conductor to an
extraneous-conductive-part") and so requires the warning notice.Â* It
can be argued the other way but I was persuaded by the fact that the
join must be accessible (else you wouldn't use a screwed connection,
would you?) so it makes sense to require a warning notice there as at
connections to pipes etc.

What happens in practice is of course another matter.Â* But I've seen
labels used where the bonding used a combination of cable and pipe.

I don't know just what your chunk of brass was for but 514.13.1((iii)
provides that no label is needed for a MET by switchgear.

Just call it an earth marshalling bar?

Stickers that say "earth warning do not remove" are cheap

I'll be guided by you!

I've seen those labels on EMBs a few times (once inside a CU) but never
really understood why they are used instead of BS 951 labels or how they
finesse 514.13.1.

--
Robin