Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default TN-S Earth clamp

On 27/05/2020 16:11, Robin wrote:
On 27/05/2020 13:51, Roger Hayter wrote:
Robin wrote:

On 26/05/2020 12:59, wrote:

Be aware that they will only reconnect your supply after the work if
your water & gas/oil are bonded.

and IIRC to current (continuous 10mm) standard

What does 'continuous' mean in this context?Â* Surely it doesn't
mean no
joints?Â*Â* Or does it means no thinner sections?

It means if your water bond is on the way to the gas, so you do it all
in one length, make sure it is one length(not cut). That way if someone
disconnects the water bond, gas is still bonded.

I think I learned that here, but I've seen it referenced elsewhere too.

Yes - sorry I was misleadingly vague.

AIUI it's not mandatory part of BS7671 but something that BS7430 and
Guidance Note 8 says "should" be done - and makes for a quieter life.

And while there's no regulation against joints in main bonding with
junction boxes (or chock strip) suitably labelled I'd extend with an
uninsulated crimp.

PS

Sorry too that for some reason I thought I knew UKPN was your DNO.

You mean if you fix a 2" X 3/4' chunk of brass on the wall with several
green and yellow wires going into it you would have to label it "safety
electral earth etc"?Â*Â* And should you enclose it to discourage
interference?

Yes it makes sense, though my electrican did not bother.Â*Â* Maybe he (or
I) might have done if it hadn't been in a workshop.

All I meant was that I agree with those who argue a screwed connection
in a main bonding conductor brings it within 514.13.1((ii) ("a point of
connection of every bonding conductor to an extraneous-conductive-part")
and so requires the warning notice.Â* It can be argued the other way but
I was persuaded by the fact that the join must be accessible (else you
wouldn't use a screwed connection, would you?) so it makes sense to
require a warning notice there as at connections to pipes etc.

What happens in practice is of course another matter.Â* But I've seen
labels used where the bonding used a combination of cable and pipe.

I don't know just what your chunk of brass was for but 514.13.1((iii)
provides that no label is needed for a MET by switchgear.

Just call it an earth marshalling bar?

Stickers that say "earth warning do not remove" are cheap

--
Adam