Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Maching rounded edge on planks

On 26/05/2020 20:43, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2020 01:03:10 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

So here you go:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._Woodwork_Test

Okay.

Now, in order of decreasing price and decreasing desirability, all cheaper than
a cheap router and cutter:

https://www.dictum.com/en/japanese-p...s-plane-717034

https://www.dictum.com/en/traditiona...s-plane-703277

https://www.dictum.com/en/western-wo...s-plane-703095

So much less dust, and, should the plane, the blade, and the wood cooperate: the
gentle whistle of the shaving paring off the board, the smell of newly-laid-open
oak, the little chirp as the plane come off the end...

Not arguing with the angle grinder, just saying.

(I'd round off all the undersides with the angle grinder first, so as to have my
hand well in when it comes to the visible side.)

All I did for this worktop was to roughly round it with an ordinary flat
plane. That of course left me with half-a-dozen steps around the curve.
Which a couple of minutes with some sandpaper was near-as-dammit a
smooth curve.

Now of course I'm noticing that it isn't quite the same along the entire
length, and it'll bother me...

.... but not enough to improve it. (My intention was to give it another
coat of oil once the weather warmed up, but I'm now working full time on
what was supposed to be my "clean workbench")

Andy