Default Refrigerator freezer too warm; runs constantly.

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:

Hello - I have spent several hours using Google and reading many
postings about my refrigerator dilemma that is in the subject line. I
have replaced the Defrost Timer and after letting it run for 4 days
while we were out of town the freezer reached 12 degrees. We opened
the door(s) a couple of times and now the freezer temp is staying at
17 degrees (for several hours during which time the doors have not
been opened). Refrigerator compartment is staying at 38 degrees.
(Cold Control is set at 4 in the Freezer and 2 in the Refrigerator.)
This all started when we had a flickering power outage a couple of
weeks ago. We noticed that Ice Cream was very soft in our 8 year old
Amana
19.7 CF bottom freezer.
I am going to remove the wall in the freezer compartment and check the
Defrost Thermostat. The Defrost timer was defective per ohm meter
test, but replacing it did not solve the problem.

We used to hear popping and gurgling sounds when the refer operated.
We no longer hear these sounds. I am also, then going to check this
area. (Condenser, and Deepfreeze fan.)

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

TIA

Un load it, saving your food with neighbors and family, or just eat it.
Turn it off totally, take the opportunity to clean it all out. Leave it off
for a couple of days at least. Now turn it back on and give it a day or two
to get back to normal. Be sure to clean the coils while you are waiting as
well.

It was off for three days and I cleaned the coils under the refer (lots
of dust/doghair). I just got into the condenser/coil area to remove the
defrost thermostat and the area was immaculately clean. There was no
frost at all after being on for four days.
I am replacing the defrost thermostat.

I am going to take a guess that when the first timer went out, the frost
built up to the point where it totally blocked the passages and now even
with the timer going on, the passages are not clearing. You also should
check to make sure the drain system is working.

I can't say for sure but there have been no signs of frost. Drain
system appears clear and clean.

Thanks for your help.