Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimW TimW is offline

Default Fixing an internal door that swings open by itself

On 25/05/2020 17:42, Caecilius wrote:
One of my internal doors slowly swings fully open unless it's latched
closed. None of the other identical doors do this so I think it's
something to do with how it's hung, but I can't find any obvious
problems. It's a solid hardwood door (so pretty heavy) hung on two
brass hinges.

A spirit level shows that the door frame on the hinge side is
vertical, and the hinge side of the door is vertical as well. A plumb
bob made from a nut&bolt on a piece of string shows that the two
hinges are in line vertically.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

You are right to check the level of spirits in the house if this is
happening consistently. Does the room feel cold ever? As if there are
draughts when there is no wind? Do you ever sense odours? or hear
activity when you are not in the room?

A nut & bolt on a piece of string is a perfectly good pendulum,
especially if the iron has been in the vicinity for some time but use of
the pendulum to determine spirit levels must be done with discretion and
insight and it may be worth consulting someone gifted in its use. It is
no easy thing to make sense of the movements.

Tim W