Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Water softener fault?

On Tue, 26 May 2020 12:46:05 +0100
"Bert Coules" wrote:

I discovered today that salt has entered and become encrusted in the
main body of my water softener - picture he
https://ibb.co/xfw4Q5v .

Recently I noticed that the salt in the proper compartment had
completely run out. I replaced it as soon as I realised but I don't
know how long it had been gone: not long, I think, since the water
showed no signs of hardening, but could that have been the cause? Is
the salt in the main compartment doing any harm? Should I remove it?

Many thanks.

My gut feeling would be to remove all the salt that's in the main
compartment, and then have a good look for a crack or leak somewhere in
the working body of the softener. It could be a pipe joint. That does
not look right at all, and resembles the solid block of salt that had
killed the softener in place when I moved here.

--
Davey.