Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Fixing an internal door that swings open by itself

On Mon, 25 May 2020 22:12:59 +0100, Clive Page wrote:

On 25/05/2020 20:17, williamwright wrote:
On 25/05/2020 17:42, Caecilius wrote:
One of my internal doors slowly swings fully open unless it's latched
closed. None of the other identical doors do this so I think it's
something to do with how it's hung, but I can't find any obvious
problems. It's a solid hardwood door (so pretty heavy) hung on two
brass hinges.

A spirit level shows that the door frame on the hinge side is
vertical, and the hinge side of the door is vertical as well. A plumb
bob made from a nut&bolt on a piece of string shows that the two
hinges are in line vertically.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Gravitational anomaly.

Bill

Indeed. Or it could be related to the fact that the north magnetic pole is leaving Canada and moving towards Siberia. Are there any iron or steel fixing on the door, and if so is it moving in the general direction of Siberia?

I've a wardrobe door that swings shut. The wardrobe is horizontal in both
planes and the top of door is horizontal at all openings.
What is really strange is that it closes from 180 deg. open. It has 3
hinges, so I guess that there's stress due to a slight bow. The hinges are
just screwed to the exterior faces, so there's no adjustment apart from a
few mm on the slotted holes. I've tried moving the centre one a bit but if I
try to move the hinges too far the door is misaligned and looks bad.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away