Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Metalwork - Rusty Weather Vane - Remove, Then Prevent Rust

DerbyDad03 on Mon, 25 May 2020 15:56:31 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 5:31:45 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Mon, 25 May 2020 13:10:53 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I think whatever clear coating is on there should come off too since it obviously isn't providing
any protection.

I'd say that the clear coating has worked, otherwise all of it
would be rusty. I suspect that the coating developer a small hole,
and the rust began there.

If it developed a hole, then it didn't work.

If you expect anything to work until the end of time, well, the
only thing that does that is prayer, and the Good Lord.

The weather vane was purchased in late March 2020, at one of the last crafts
events held this year. (Only 100 people allowed on the grounds at any given time)

The unit has been outside for barley 2 months, not factoring in how long
or where the craftsman himself stored it.

Wow. That shows a failure of some sort. Choice of materials,
application, conditions.

"The end of time" is a bit of a stretch expectations-wise.

Yep.

Although I've been in companies which seem to expect to have it
possible that nothing ever will go wrong. Maybe I'm old, cynical, and
pessimistic, but planning for the worst helps to keep it from
happening.
--
pyotr filipivich